Southern Electric To Compensate Homes Hit By Power Cut

Calls cost 7p per minute plus your standard network charge.

Please ensure you have the bill payers permission before contacting a company on our website.

This website provides hard to find phone numbers as a call connection service, and is not associated with the companies listed.

Regional provider Southern Electric have revealed that they will compensate customers on the south coast of England whose homes and businesses were hit by power cuts over the Christmas period. The losses of power happened during the severe storms that the coast suffered at the end of 2013.

Southern Electric have promised to give anyone who went without electricity for more than 48 hours a total of £54 for their troubles. The company, which operates as a brand under SSE, will also provide the same amount for every consequent 12 hour period. Those who did not have power on Christmas Day will be awarded an extra £75 compensation.

Thousands of homes across Dorset and Hampshire were left without any electricity to power their homes after they were hit by heavy rain and severe winds on December 23rd 2013. Many of these homes struggled to regain their electricity for up to five days after the weather. This is because engineers were not able to get to some rural areas to make the necessary repairs.

A statement released by the company said:

The gale force winds of up to 80 miles per hour and heavy rain that moved through the south of England on 23 and 24 December lasted many hours resulted in extensive flooding, fallen trees and considerable damage to our network.

Southern Electric were able to restore power for over 130,00 customers not long after the bad weather stuck. 95% of those affected were able to have electricity for Christmas Day with the remaining 5% back by December 28th. It mobilised 500 engineers and support staff to fix the problem. It also provided the customers who were hit hardest with hot meals and accommodation.

Those who were affected by the weather and believe they are entitled to compensation can apply via a form on the Scottish Electric website. They can also call the company. Cheques will be mailed to customers that were hit within three to five weeks.

The statement released by Southern Electric also urged those who lost their power to contact the utility company’s customer service team and suggest ways that they could improve if such events were to happen again. The statement concluded by saying:

We would like to thank you for your patience during this time.

Southern Electric was founded in 1990 and merged with Scottish Hydro-Electric in 1998 to form SSE. It continues to operate with the brand and logo of Southern Electric for customers in the South of England.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *